Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Gonna Go Back in Time...

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." -Marty McFly (Back to the Future, 1985)

I am easing into this project, because it is a bit overwhelming to time travel almost 40 years into the past. As I read through the "rules" of the original WW program, I am beginning to realize that this is a bit wackier than I had originally expected.

Allow me to share a few "rules" with you:

First, the good news: Artificial sweeteners, carbonated beverages, imitation butter, condiments, seasonings and most vegetables are permitted in unlimited amounts. Hooray! Fruit, meat, poultry, fish, eggs, milk and cheese are encouraged in moderation. Even bread and cereal are allowed under strict supervision. There is a complicated equation for incorporating fats. I haven't quite figured it out yet.

Now the BAD news: There is a list of "illegal" foods. It's a long list. It includes (just to name a few):
  • Alcoholic beverages (WHAT!?!?)
  • Bacon (NOOOOO!)
  • Cake, Cookies, Crackers, Pie (Are you f-ing kidding?)
  • Corn or Popcorn (Why?)
  • Ice Cream (Now this is getting cruel)
  • Catsup (This is how they spelled it back then...)
  • Peanut Butter (Understandable, actually)
  • Pizza (Kill me!)
  • Potato Chips, Pretzels (OK, really now kill me.)
  • Soups (WTF?)
  • Pudding, Custard (Go figure?)
  • Peanuts, Other Nuts (Damn.)

I am going to stop here, because I am sure you get the point now. It's basically torture, and you must give up everything you enjoy in life. But I am determined. If my mom did this-- Certainly I can do this too.

But wait. There are more rules. And they involve meat.

I think I need to rest now. I am going to eat some bacon with catsup on it while I still can...

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Interesting idea, Mimi. Glad it is you and not me. I am happy Weight Watcher's has evolved so I can eat pretty much whatever I want. But I admire you for your unusual task. I will certainly be coming back to find out how it goes... Happy to be your first follower! Good luck.