Sunday, March 28, 2010

Holy Mackerel

Having just returned from a weekend trip to my cousin's wedding in Northern Virginia, I must confess two things:

  1. I am not in the mood to cook today, and
  2. I fell off the Retro WW Wagon. Hard.

No worries, though. Tomorrow is another day, and I am well stocked up on tuna, celery and cottage cheese.

While flipping through my retro WW magazines for some motivation & inspiration, I came across this recipe and felt the need to share. This recipe (from The Best of Weight Watchers Magazine, 1974) truly embodies all things Retro WW... fish balls nestled inside a cantaloupe topped with sliced gherkins and generously sprinkled with dehydrated onion flakes. MMMM! My taste buds are zinging!

So enjoy the rest of your weekend, and behold the awesomeness that is Mackerel-Cantaloupe Salad.


6 comments:

heidi said...

i'm pretty sure most of these women lost weight throwing back up what they first choked down. ewww...

Ally said...

I was born in 1972 ha ha! This is awesome! I've been on and off WW since like 1984 so this is funny to me :)

I'm here and following! Thanks for stopping by my retro blog!

Tales Of A Fourth Grade Nothing

jamie@midcenturymania said...

Think I'd rather eat liver with a chocolate flavored Ayds chaser!

Lidian said...

Did Jean think that up or one of her brilliant minions? This sort of thing would never occur to most people, I believe.

That is some gorgeous photo, too - Bon appetit!

Chickens in the Basement said...

I don't think I could eat that! I guess that's how the diet works...throw together a bunch of things that have no business being together. Your stomach will revolt and your gag reflex will kick in every time you try to swallow!

Mimi said...

I couldn't agree more, ladies. I won't be sampling this one. I think I'll just appreciate its beauty from afar.