Friday, March 12, 2010

It's Retro Mocktail Time!


Are you there Jean? It's me, Mimi.

I have a little problem. You see, It's almost the weekend, and I had a really rough week. I would like to have some cocktails with my friends, but it seems that alcohol is on your list of "illegal" foods. Was that a typo, perchance? No? Oh dear.

Oh Jean! What's a stressed-out working gal to do?

"You get your kicks by looking in the mirror after you've stayed away from the stronger beverages." ~Jean Nidetch

Alrighty then. In preparation for the weekend, I am mixing up a couple of tasty, guilt-free non-potent potables courtesy of the 1972 WW Plan.

Here's a doozy...The Skinny Devil. It's a spicy little number made with 1 cup tomato juice, 1/2 cup clam juice and a dash of red hot sauce - served over ice.

Or---In honor of St. Patty's Day, you could try a Creme de Menthe Frappe. This is a mixture of 4 teaspoons artificial sweetener, 1 cup cold water, 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and a few drops green food coloring. Add crushed ice, serve in a frosted cocktail glass and stir.

OK. I dare you to order this one the next time you go to the local neighborhood bar. It's everyone's favorite: the Nectarine "Daiquiri". Here are the ingredients:
  • 1 ripe nectarine
  • 1/4 cup diet ginger ale
  • 3 ice cubes
  • 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
  • dash lemon juice

Combine ingredients in blender and mix until smooth then serve in a brandy snifter.

Come to think of it, all of these drinks should be served in a brandy snifter. Why not?

Finally, here is my personal favorite - the Horse's Neck "Highball". This is a simple combination of club soda, bitters and a dash of lemon juice. Garnish with a lemon twist and serve in a fancy glass on the rocks. (And if you want to add a little splash of bourbon, go ahead, I won't tell...) Here is an actual picture of me enjoying one at a fine local Pittsburgh establishment.



You should have seen the look on the bartender's face when I ordered this thing.

So go ahead and kick up your platform heels, ladies! It's the weekend. Have a blast.

4 comments:

Helen said...

If you can find Clamato you won't have to mix the tomato and clam juice - it's premixed. And as disgusting as that sounds the mint one sounds worse!

heidi said...

ewwwww. thank god that bud 55 was invented [aka water] as of late -- it will save my beer-swilling ass this summer!

jamie@midcenturymania said...

Hey, why not add a crushed ambien to that virgin cocktail? It's a calorie free way of falling off your barstool. Two crushed ambien and you'll be on you lips....and still be within your points range. (oops, no points back then) I mean calorie range.

Sparkina said...

I must be in the minority, cuz I think that mint concoction sounds divine -- but I'm a mint freak