Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thanks, but No Thanks Thursday - Pepto Soup

As you know, TBNT Thursday is the day I feature one lucky dish from my collection of 1972-1974 Retro Weight Watchers recipes that even I would not eat.

Let me preface this week by saying: I love a good Bisque. In fact, I will go out of my way to find a restaurant that serves a delicious Seafood Bisque.

That said, I could not be more disgusted by this week's TBNT Thursday recipe: Salmon Bisque.



Where do I start?

First, let's address the color. I have eaten my fair share of Bisque and have never seen one that looked like this. I assume this Pepto-Bismolesque shade of pink is the result of how the base is made. Do you want to know the details? Really???

Combine 2/3 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk, 3/4 cup chicken bouillon and 3/4 cup tomato juice in a blender with seasonings then transfer to a pot and bring to a boil.

Next, let's talk about those things floating in there. That's two tablespoons of chopped pimento and a few random flakes of canned salmon thrown in at the end---almost as an afterthought.

For a fleeting moment, I almost considered making this dish as part of my "experiment". Then I stopped myself. I'll admit I'm curious, but I refuse to give this so-called Salmon Bisque the satisfaction. Plus, I really do think I might gag if I tried to eat it.

In my opinion, this recipe should be called: Pink Cottage Cheese Soup with Floating Canned Salmon Flakes

Thanks, but No Thanks!

3 comments:

Vonlipi said...

Mimi, that cracked me up! I would try that myself!

I'm surprised there are no beets in it...It would make a nice shade of Pepto!

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

Ack! But it's got me thinking. Surely there is a way to make a good .... nah!

North of 25A said...

What a great blog! I will definately be back (and I would not eat that soup either!).
Best,
Colleen