Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thanks, But No Thanks Thursday - Go Green!

The Tropical Treasure recipe from The Best Of 1974 Weight Watchers Magazine has so many TBNT qualities! Where do I even begin?

First, let's address the color. Not only is it bright green, but this particular shade of green resembles a pot of glowing nuclear waste or perhaps something that was left behind after a supernatural encounter.

Next, let's talk about the ingredients: Pureed green beans mixed with orange juice, coconut extract, banana extract and instant milk powder? Wow. Now that's quite a combo.

Finally, let's address the presentation. It is baked in metallic custard cups and garnished with mint and orange rind. And if you are really lucky--it will be served to you in a giant treasure chest surrounded by jewels.


OK. Um. Why???

I am so puzzled by this dish that I am almost tempted to try it. But then I remember I live on the planet Earth, not Mars, and I prefer my green beans with a simple dash of olive oil and some salt & pepper.

Thanks, but No Thanks!

6 comments:

Mollie's Mama said...

I'm not even sure why you have to bake it. Is it like a pudding or a casserole? Does the instant milk have something to do with the baking? I just can't wrap my head around this exotic pina colada-lands-on-a-bean field treat.

Lidian said...

That's one treasure I don't want anywhere near the jewelry box -

This is truly one of the most bizarre retro recipes I have ever seen!

Vonlipi said...

Scary! Really Scary!

lv2scpbk said...

I left you a Versatile award on my blog. Please check it out and pass it on. It's on my Everyday Life's Issues blog.

Desiree said...

That's horrifying. That's also my idea of what food looks like in jail.

Trina said...

If you want to try this then go buy some jars of baby food. It will save you the trouble of pureeing the green beans yourself.

Oh and the treasure chest...CLASSIC! I am going to serve a future dinner in a treasure chest. I have one made out of cardboard. Hahahaha