Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Disappearing Guest Post #10

Enjoy this cool & delightful Retro WW treat from my twitter pal Lydia, because nothing can prepare you for what is coming next. If you think you've seen some scary Retro WW recipes...you ain't seen nothin' yet! But for now, please enjoy this semi-tame and semi-yummy Zesty Cheddar Log before it disappears!

Zesty Cheddar Log (1974)

4 OZ. Cheddar Cheese, grated
1/4 Cup minced celery
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 medium cucumber, scored & sliced

Combine cheese, celery, and Worcestershire in a bowl. Shape into log, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Sprinkle curry powder in waxed paper. Roll cheese log in curry, coating evenly. Wrap loosely in wax paper. Chill 2 hours. Slice and serve, evenly divided with cucumber slices. Makes 2 luncheon servings.

When Mimi sent me this recipe, I was intrigued and eager to try it out. I imagined Jean Nidetch and a friend eating this after a tennis match or something. The project began with me assembling ingredients. I grated 4 oz of Vermont cheddar cheese, minced some celery to yield 1/4 of a cup, and snapped photo #1.


I combined the cheese and celery with the 1 Tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce. The mixture was very crumbly and did not easily form a log. (I wonder if cheddar in 1974 was softer.) I rolled the log in 2 1/2 tsp of curry powder on a plate.


Now I see that the recipe calls for wax paper, which would've made the rolling easier. The result was a crunchy, definitely zesty, crumbly mess when I tried to cut it. I ate some and then refrigerated it, planning to slice it and serve on scored cucumber slices the next day. In the morning, I searched the fridge for the cheese log and my husband confessed he'd tossed it, unaware of my important assignment!

The cucumber slices made a nice snack sprinkled with salt.

Review: I liked the crunch of the celery, but the curry and Worcestershire flavors were too strong and dissonant. I hope that my hunt for new ways to eat vegetables will bring me some ideas of what else to do with celery and cucumber!

2 comments:

Pam said...

Mimi, I found a really yummy veggie dip recipe while I was doing research on Jack LaLanne...it's on YouTube and it's a clip from his old exercise program. He mashes a ripe avocado with cottage cheese, plain yogurt, garlic powder and lemon juice. Sounded really delicious and low fat.

I still think your cheese log looks pretty good...

Anonymous said...

Fun post Lydia and Mimi. Your husband threw it away??? oops!! Thanks for another great retro post.