Saturday, August 6, 2011

Un-Holy Mackerel

Today, I opened a can of mackerel and proceeded to make pudding with it. I'm not really sure what else to say about that. Frankly, I'm a little freaked out.

You'll have to excuse me, because this experience has left me a little speechless, so I'll be relying heavily on pictures to tell the tale of my Fluffy Mackerel Pudding adventure.

FYI - here is what canned mackerel looks like when you take it out of the can.


I was not prepared for this. But I pressed on.

The recipe card told me to start by putting 2 stalks of celery and a green pepper through a food grinder. I used my food processor. That worked fine. Then I combined my chopped veggies with some spices, onion flakes, mustard, and of course - the mackerel.


I then mixed in 2 raw eggs, as instructed, and divided the mixture evenly into 4 heatproof cups. As I popped them in the oven for 35 minutes -- I crossed my fingers.


My biggest fear? What if they don't get fluffy? What if they don't get FLUFFY?!? WHAT IF THEY DON'T GET FLUFFY?!?!? I was very concerned about this.

But alas! My fears were unfounded when I finally pulled my lunch out of the oven and was overjoyed by the fluffy little cups of fishy goodness. I happily applied the finishing touch: a slice of hard cooked egg for garnish.


Here I am taking a big bite of some Fluffy Mackerel Pudding for your viewing enjoyment. How did it taste? See below to find out...

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy Mackerel! Was that funny! "It's not so fluffy as it is gelatinous." Hahaha!

:-) Marion

Brian Francis said...

You can truly face any obstacle life throws your way now. You're one of the survivors.

Bonnie said...

and what did you do after the camera shut off?....hahahahaha

Girl you are a trooper!!!!!

Vonlipi said...

That looked awful! EEEEWWWW!

Did you throw it out?

The White Pear Tree said...

You are hereby awarded the medal of food tasting bravery. You are my hero!

Jana said...

"Mackerelly". Now there is a great word.

Lynn Thompson said...

You are brave! I am impressed but I can say with absolutely NO hesitation there is NO WAY I would have ever made this dish let alone tasted it!

Shoes15 said...

Maybe if you had added some diced chicken liver and some canned bean sprouts, it would have been more palatable.

Tracy said...

How DO you do it? You are amazing! And nice to have your husband's support.