Sunday, December 18, 2011

Festival of Light Recipes

Jean Nidetch never missed an opportunity to renovate a favorite holiday recipe. In fact, she could take the most decadent delectable and turn it into a dieter's dream.

So with Hanukkah starting this week, I would be remiss if I didn't whip up some classic WW versions of this Holiday season's favorites.

Being a proud Jewish Brooklynite, and a self-proclaimed F.F.H. (formerly fat housewife), you can bet Jean knows a thing or two about Latkes, Kugels and Sufganiyot. Since most traditional Jewish foods are not often figure-friendly, Jean offers alternatives for the slim-seeking set.

Take for example, the Latke.

As a lover of Latkes, I have experimented with my share of Retro WW Latke recipes...

First there was the Retro WW Blueberry Latkes. They were delicious and nutritious. One of my very first Retro WW endeavors -- I loved them, but my husband didn't. Whatever.


And then came the Cauliflower "Potato" Latkes. These were a hands-down winner. I made them for lunch and gobbled up the whole batch. I'll swap my potatoes for cauliflower any old day.


But today, I decided to take a different route. Instead of a Latke, I made a Kugel. And I'm so glad I did.

Potato Kugel with Cheese Topping

1 Potato, scrubbed and grated
1 egg
1 slice bread, cut up
1 tsp dehydrated onion flakes
Salt & Pepper

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Transfer to a small casserole. Set in shallow pan holding 1/2-inch water. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Top with cottage cheese and dill.



This recipe made one big serving of warm potatoey, cheesey goodness, and you can bet your sweet tuchus I ate every last bite.

I don't come from a Jewish family, but our love of starchy potatoes topped with cottage cheese runs so deep, it is almost like a religion. In fact, I would be willing to bet that as soon as my mom reads this post, she'll be running to the store to pick up the ingredients for this recipe.

I hope everyone has a happy & healthy Hanukkah. May your Latkes be light and your Menorah be bright! Gut Yontif to all, and to all a good holiday outfit that isn't too tight!

4 comments:

CanineThespian said...

It does look excellent in that pyrex bowl!

yinzerella said...

Color me surprised that these turned out so well!
I've only had kugel once and I wasn't a fan. But maybe Jean can convince me otherwise.

Wendy McLaughlin said...

That looks delicious! I need to try them some day. I grew up catholic.

Averyl said...

I love Kugel and that looks delicious!