Sunday, December 4, 2011

An Interview with Mimi's Mom

For almost two years, I have been immersed in the 1972 Retro Weight Watchers Program. I have tried, somewhat pitifully, to follow the program and to sample the thousands of "healthy" recipes from that era. My progress has been mediocre. But I press on...

There are, however, millions of people who actually did follow this program over 40 years ago. They were dedicated, strong and successful. I want to pay tribute to them in a regular segment called, "The Retro WW Interview Project".


Today, I start with my Mom...


Mimi & Mom Before & After:





Q: Why did you join WW?
A: It was 1971. Living in Pittsburgh during the 1970's we were big Steeler fans, and one day I looked at the newspaper. In the sports section, it had all the stats of the Steelers players, and I screamed when I noticed that I outweighed all of them EXCEPT Mean Joe Green. I wanted to lose weight on a structured program, and I liked the idea of going to a meeting hearing others in my same situation. Knowing I had to weigh in weekly, to keep me on task.

Q: What is your most vivid Retro WW memory?
A: My first 10 lbs off, I was so happy!

Q:
What was your favorite Retro WW treat?
A: I would toast a slice of bread, slice it length-wise and put my portion of farmers cheese on it with a smidgen of sweet & low then broil till bubbly. I swear, it was like cheesecake to me!

Q:
What was your "Frankenstein Food"? (the one food that was most tempting to you)
A: Potato pancakes.

Q:
What was the hardest rule to follow on Retro WW?
A: No alcoholic beverages!!!!!!! It was so hard to be "social" on plan. As a young woman with a busy lifestyle, I was always in challenging situations with friends and family. It was hard to always say "no".

Q: What was the best thing about being a WW member in the 1970's?
A: Feeling there was a light at the end of the tunnel and that I could eventually fit thru it!

"Go Steelers! I'm so glad I weigh less than you now!"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great interview! I love the 70's pictures of you and Mom. The answers are funny and so true--being happy about weighing less than football players. :D

:-) Marion

Shoes15 said...

Aw - your mom is so cute! Good for her!

Julia Lolita said...

What a fun post. Thank you for sharing.