Sunday, December 11, 2011

Slim Santa Snacks

Everyone knows that it is customary to leave a snack for Santa Claus on Christmas Eve.

Most normal people leave him cookies.

As a Retro WW Gal, I simply don't keep cookies on hand. They are not "legal".

Anyway--This Saturday night, as I was flipping through my 1970 Christmas issue of Weight Watchers magazine, I found the perfect treat for Santa. The "Snacks & Hors d'Ouevres for the Skinny Christmas Scene" centerfold recipe spread really caught my eye.

What? You don't put on a cocktail dress, sit by the tree and peruse magazines? Why not?

I thought -- with all those cookies he'll be eating, Santa will surely appreciate a slimming snack to carry him through his busy night. Right?

So I immediately put on my apron and got to work on these...

Slim Santa Snacks
1 1/2 cups tomato juice
pinch garlic powder
cloves
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
2 Tbsp water
1/2 pound large fresh mushrooms

Combine first 5 ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes. Soften gelatin in water and add to tomato juice mixture. Chill until syrupy.


Remove stems from mushrooms and place on rack. Spoon mixture over mushrooms and chill until set. Repeat 2-3 times until mushrooms are well coated.



I was so excited about my Slim Santa Snacks, I left out a few of them just in case Santa decided to arrive early. You never know, right?

Well! Lo and behold, when I awoke this morning -- I found an empty platter and a special treat in my stocking...


Merry Christmas everyone! I wish you the happiest of holidays filled with peace, love, joy and lots of "slimming" things to eat!

7 comments:

Wendy McLaughlin said...

Knox gelatin. Now there's a blast from the past. I remember that from when I was a kid. BTW, I'd leave Santa cookies anyway!

heidi said...

now santa knows you're a knox-y girl ;)

Roz @ weightingfor50 said...

That is hilarious. Best of the season to you Mimi!!

Fairy said...

what a hoot!

yinzerella said...

What the hell was wrong with people in the 1970s? Seriously? Those are gross. But your hair looks fabulous, so that's a win.

Brian Francis said...

If I was Santa, and I found those waiting for me, I'd put a lump of coal in the stocking. Santa doesn't do mushrooms.
Happy Holidays, Mimi.

Sparkina said...

These don't look so bad. I imagine they'd be kind of refreshing. But then again, I'm a mushroom fan. In my opinion, mushrooms are a delicacy from the earth and one of nature's finest food gifts. Food fit for Roman emperors. If a savory dish tastes divine, adding mushrooms would make it taste doubly divine. TTFN, off to marinate a portobello!