Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Magical Muffins

Oh my gosh you guys. I have so much to tell you, but all I have time for right now is a really quick post about these crazy-good muffins I just made yesterday.

So here's the deal...

These muffins are by far THE BEST thing I have made so far on my Retro Weight Watchers adventure. You should totally make them. Here's how:


Spiced Apple "Muffins"

3 Apples
3 Eggs
3 Slices of Bread
3 tbsp Artificial Sweetener
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp orange extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Coarsely grate apples; set aside. In mixing bowl, beat eggs; add sweetener, extracts, and spices. Crumble bread into mixture: blend well. Blend in grated apples. Spoon mixture into 6 equal amounts in non-stick muffin pan. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Makes 3 servings.



NOTE: If you are like me, and you don't happen to have any orange extract on hand - just skip it. You won't miss it. Trust me.

Mine turned out perfect. And they tasted divine. My husband even ate one - and he liked it. I know, crazy - right?


So why on Earth did this recipe only place third in the 1971 Weight Watchers Magazine Gourmet Contest? I have no idea. But I would like to officially recognize Ms. Emma R. Fendler of Shorewood, WI for this delicious creation. She won a 5-year subscription to Weight Watchers magazine for her Third Place prize. Big whoop. In my opinion - she should have been awarded the Grand Prize and sent directly on an all-expense paid vacation to the destination of her choice. Take that Mrs. John E. Kelley and your soggy "egg rolls"!

Congratulations Ms. Fendler! You may have come in third place back in 1971 - but forty years later, your recipe is still a winner in my book!

4 comments:

Chukster said...

She probally finished third because she didn't use any Knox Gelatin. I might even try this one they look good.

Angie A said...

I think I will be making these soon :) Thank you!

Denise said...

OMG! I used to make these all the time in the "BAD old days" Something sweet to cure the craving for cookies ro cake.

Cathy H-S said...

I remember these from my first time around!
Would be a good thing to try again. Thanks!