Sunday, October 7, 2012

True Cookie Confessions

Here's another Retro Weight Watchers recipe that sounds awful on paper, but actually turns out to be shockingly edible and (dare I say) even a bit tasty in reality.

Chocolate Cookies
(1978)

1/3 cup dry milk
1 oz quick oatmeal
1 to 3 tsp cocoa
1 tsp vanilla extract
water to moisten

Combine all ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Drop by spoonfuls onto a non-stick cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes. Makes one serving for the morning meal.

I should stop here to mention that Jean Nidetch, the founder of Weight Watchers, loves cookies. She calls them her "Frankenstein Food". She is also a self-proclaimed "closet cookie-eater". In fact, legend has it that at the very first Weight Watchers meeting ever, Jean confessed to her fellow overweight friends that she used to hide cookies in her laundry hamper and then secretly binge-eat them in the bathroom after her family went to sleep.

I guess this would explain why there are so many "legal" cookie recipes in the Retro WW cookbooks and magazines. 

Yes. I took a bite outta one. I couldn't wait.

You guys. These cookies are good. And the best part is that the whole recipe is one serving! I made four little cookies and had them all to myself with a big ol' cup of coffee.

But next time, I am totally making one giant cookie. Just because I can.

1 comment:

Alynn said...

I don't know if I could get past the fact that they look like little mini plastic hamburgers. The kind you used to get as a kid with your Fisher Price kitchen set.